How to Get Sharp AF Eyeliner

Hello Friends!

Not to brag, but I get lots of compliments on my eyeliner and people ask me all the time how I get my wings so perfect, so here's some direction on how I do my liner.

Liner can really help bring a look together, and winged liner is one of the more challenging liner styles. It's important to start with a good product. You want a liner that has an easy to work with applicator as well as rich black pigment (or whatever color you prefer).

My favorite liner is Milani's 17 hour wear matte black liner.


I prefer this liner because it's under 10 dollars, it's really really black and the applicator is a dip-style with a triangle foam tip making it really easy to work with. Also, the formula is easily removed with water and a Q-tip, making it simple to fix liner mistakes and that causes less irritation to delicate eye tissue.

I know that some people prefer a liner pen - and that's totally fine - I just find that liner pens dry out or get clogged up when I use them, so I prefer a dipping method because I can keep my applicator really wet and I feel like I get more longevity out of my product.

Another liner I like is Milani's Infinite liner. This liner is MUCH harder to work with because of the pointy brush applicator combined with an incredibly thick formula. This formula is really hard to remove once it's on, so I recommend ONLY using this liner if you have really great liner skills.

I know I just said a lot of negative about this liner, but the reason I recommend this liner is because it lasts FOREVER. I love to put this liner on the night before I need to get up early because it will set and you can sleep in it and it will stay absolutely flawless for the next 24 to 36 hours. At which point it will start to flake off and can be removed like regular, but it is really hard to remove before then. I usually have to use rubbing alcohol to get it off my skin but DON'T DO THAT. Don't put rubbing alcohol on your skin ever because it can result in dermatitis. Instead, opt for some kind of oil remover for this liner. it'll take longer but it's better for your skin.


Okay, now that we've got our products worked out, we can start applying.

I like to start at the corner of my eye and draw a line outward, following the angle of my lower lash line. Like a continuation of the lower lash line. Sometimes it is easier to draw towards the tail of your brows, but my brow tail is too short to do that. It's important to find the angle that works best for your eye shape, and with practice, you'll get there. 


This line determines how big your wing will be, so if you want a lot of drama, make this line long, but if you want a more subtle look, make it short. I always go just slightly beyond my eyelid's crease. I prefer to make this line going from the corner of the eye, outward but some people go inward. I just think going in an outward motion allows this line to be more sharp with my personal technique.

Next, we will make a triangle. from the outermost end of that line we just drew, connect it to your lash line to make a triangle.


I usually connect the triangle to the outer third of my lash line.

Now we are going to fill in our triangle shape.


During this filling in step, I always take my liner brush and very gently just slightly drag out that pointy part to make it even more pointy. Like when you're writing really dramatically and flick your pen at the end to get that sharp end.


Okay, now we're ready to finish our lash line and for me this is the hardest part. I like to angle my applicator on the side, flat against my lash line, like this:


This allows me to take advantage of that skinny triangle shape of the applicator. I try my best to get a smooth transition from my wing to the inner corner of my eye but as long as the line is connected and your wing is nice, it'll look good.


And now this is great! You can go ahead and stop here if you want, but if you want your liner extra super duper sharp, continue with this next step.

take a flat brush like this:


And your favorite concealer. Anything high coverage will work. Get your concealer on the edge of that flat brush and drag the product along the edge of your wing.


You don't need to go over much - if any - of your liner. The concealer just will help hide any minute mistakes in the edge of the liner and it will give a highlighting effect to this edge, making it look sharper. Don't forget to blend around that concealer a bit, don't blend near your liner, but just diffuse the concealer into your skin a little.


Finish off with mascara! Now you've got liner so sharp you could key a car with it. 

Practice your liner often, because you will get better. Seriously, this is what my liner used to look like in 2016:


Don't give up!! <3

Social Accounts:

Comments